Friday, February 16, 2007

I really needed that lifeline

I had a bad experience on Wednesday; of course I have never gotten around to locating a yarn or thread in my stash that I want to keep on hand to do lifelines, so I didn't have one in my shawl. I jumped up to open the door, caught my foot in the yarn, and jerked 20 or so stitches off the needles. It took me the rest of my knitting time on Wednesday to recover. What I ended up doing was counting down four rows on the remaining stitches and putting a spare needle through that row. I then pulled out that whole 20-stitch section for the four rows, and reknit them from the pattern. It took several tries, mostly because I kept trying to do it on the third row down, which was a plain row. Eventually I decided that if the stitches I put the spare needle through were those of a pattern row they wouldn't be manipulated in any way, which meant going down one more row.

It was made worse by the fact that I hadn't had breakfast, was stuck in a hotel room waiting for my husband to go to breakfast with me (it was Valentine's Day, but he had an early a.m. lecture to give), and my brain was not working.

I have a much deeper understanding of what the patter is doing in the middle of chart 6, so there was some benefit. Hopefully my diamonds are off to a good start. I will be very miffed if the shawl has a muddled bit right there when it's finished.

4 Comments:

Blogger margene said...

Oh I just hate when that kind of thing happens! I had to tink a couple of rows between the first section and the trellis' and it brought me a better understanding of the pattern. At least we can look on the bright side. ;-)

2:12 PM  
Blogger Nana Sadie said...

Oh. My.
My heart stopped whilst reading that one.

I swear by lifelines (but then I don't like to live dangerously! lolol!)

You surely have more fortitude than I...and I hope you had a good breakfast! It would have been a good reward...

(((hugs)))

2:29 PM  
Blogger slimsdotter said...

Point taken, I am going to install one Right Now. The last one was a couple weeks back.

3:58 PM  
Blogger Birdsong said...

I agree with Margene, having had similar things happen, usually for stupid, klutzy reasons. Glad you worked through it though.

4:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home