Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Very, Very


My progress report on the Hidcote Garden Shawl goes something like this: the shawl is getting very, very big; the rows are very, very long; and I am very, very sick and tired of knitting on it at this point. The good news is I'm finally on chart 10 and I only have 15 rows left to go--15 very, very long rows!

When I've posted to the KAL blog I've tried to include a tip or observation about my experience knitting this shawl that might help those who come behind me. This time I'll talk about yarn and needles. I love my Addi-turbos and I haven't had any trouble knitting this pattern with the relatively blunt tipped turbos; however, I am used to them so it may be more of a challenge for someone else. I do despise knitting in cramped quarters though, and by the time I made it to chart 10 I was wishing for a 40" circular needle--wish I don't have of course. You can knit it on a 32" (shorter than that I can't even imagine), but those stitches do get smushed on top of each other, esp. the YOs. Smushed stitches makes knitting more difficult as you are constantly having to stop to separate the YOs from the adjacent stitches. Having a longer-length cable circular needle would be a good thing for Hidcote IMHO.

So that's it for the needles, now about yarn. I am using ColourMart cashmere in the 2/28 laceweight, which is very comparable to the KnitPicks yarn used in the pattern. I chose to use a US 4 (3.5mm) needle instead of the recommended US 3 (3.25mm), which may account for the fact that I will use quite a bit more yarn in my shawl than the 1300 yds. Miriam used in her shawl. I've used approx. 1600 yds thus far and will ultimately use approx. 1800yds once I'm done. Even with the needle size change, I was a bit surprised to need this much yarn. Of course I had 2300 yds on my cone of cashmere, so it wasn't an issue for me, but it might be for someone else who bought only 3 hanks of KnitPicks lace yarn. The caveat to future knitters--buy a little extra yarn just in case (if KnitPicks, buy 4 hanks). I recall someone else running out, so I suspect I'm not the only one who has used more than 1300 yds.

There's another picture and a little more chat on my blog if any one is interested. Otherwise, I'll check back in again soon when I will be finished! See ya'll then :-)

beadntat
aka Kristina in Knoxville, TN, USA
www.beadntat.blogspot.com

4 Comments:

Blogger KarenK said...

Excellent post, Kristina! Very helpful information, thanks for sharing. I'm only on Chart 3, but will take to heart your advice about the longer needles.

9:35 PM  
Blogger Opal said...

I totally understand the tedium of the rows getting longer and longer. I'm only on the tail end of Chart 7 and I'm already weary of how long the rows are!

10:05 PM  
Blogger Cheryl said...

Thanks for the tips, I am not going to finish by the end of the month....the shawl was misplaced in a cleaning frenzy and even though I thought it had been carefully bagged.....(hanging head in shame) when located it was ON and if anyone can neatly pick it back up with all those yo's please tell me how. Not a real big deal, just in the middle of chart 4, hoping to get to 6 by end of month. I have decided this will go to Mom when it is done....we lost dad 2 years ago and sometimes you forget how lonely people can get. One of 11 children, all grown and married but .....plus it seems as she gets older she is remembering I can do these things and asks after my knitting....so I think this shawl will be a nice surprise when done, not planning on a deadline...the first granddaughter is getting married in fall so may suggest it be worn then.(Mom is cute is very much wanting to be a great granny) Sorry for long post...
I hope this blog will remain active as I would love to see all the shawls and post my progress next week and as I move along slowly. I wish I was a one at a tome knitter rather than having 1100 wips

7:01 AM  
Blogger Birdsong said...

Whew, you are closing in on the home stretch! In answer to Cheryl, I have no intentions of removing the blog, and am way behind on getting mine done too, so we will be here awhile together yet!

3:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home