Monday, February 26, 2007

Ultimate Frugal Hobby



I just finished my Hidcote. It's my first shawl, first lace. Yarn: Knitpicks Shadow in Jewels. 3 skeins, the last one wasn't quite used up. The second picture shows how much was left. Cost $7.50
The blocking wires are welding wire from the hardware store, I got 6 rods for $1. Could have used one more. The blocking isn't quite square but I decided it was ok for now, and if I decide it needs fixing I will re-block. Needles, US #3 Boye 29" circs, cost $5.50 (go ahead and laugh, but I didn't want to have to wait for better needles to come in the mail.
Total cost for a gorgeous lace shawl, including re-usable supplies: $15.00 Divide that by 59, the number of days in Jan and Feb, and that comes to 0.25 per day. Wow, where else can you get value like that?! A quarter for hours of entertainment each day.
I am thrilled with the way it turned out. It entered my mind to make another one... maybe next year. The family is starting to make comments about the amount of time I spent knitting to finish before March 1st.
It measures 77" across the long side and 58" across the short legs, and 48" down the back of neck to point. Miriam got 90 across the top and 44 down the back... maybe I stretched it down rather than across? Anyway, I am really happy with it. Thanks to you all who helped me get started. Thanks for the ladies running this site, and thanks to Miriam for such a great pattern!

11 Comments:

Blogger Tan said...

Your shawl is really beautiful, and your blocking a great success. I hope I don't run out of yarn. Your edge looks wonderful and I want one like it.

9:01 PM  
Blogger slimsdotter said...

Thanks. Yeah, isn't the edging great? I know I was knitting straight rows on straight needles (circulars, but the stitches were level to start with) and now the edge is all scallopy. Cool.

1:29 PM  
Blogger Opal said...

I really love the shawl in that colour. I can't believe the whole thing only cost you $15. Way to go!

3:17 PM  
Blogger Lacefreak said...

Beautiful job on your shawl! I love the color and lace really is very economical even when you start using luxury yarns :-)

9:58 PM  
Blogger Cheryl said...

Beautiful, what more can be said?
I am still moving along, not at any great speed..but I do have many WIPs...I love this shawl..sometime I am going to make it again It is really dainty and feminine

3:24 AM  
Blogger Debby said...

What a beautiful Shawl. Someday I am going to do Lace, just as soon as I finish 14 other started projects lol

12:14 PM  
Blogger Nana Sadie said...

Absolutely stunning! And I love love love the cost breakdown (how could I not? I'm an accountant!)!!!

A gal after my own heart - a frugal hobby that yields such gorgeous results!
Congrats!
(((hugs)))

11:02 AM  
Blogger Birdsong said...

Oh, excellent! The color reminds me of an evening sky, and I bet you will get a lot of use from your shawl this spring and summer. I have used a "cost-per-wear" formula to justify buying an expensive article of clothing that I would use close to daily, but your system has that beat:)

9:51 PM  
Blogger slimsdotter said...

You can tell I'm not an accountant, guess what I forgot in my cost analysis? The cost of the pattern! Oh well, we'll just ignore that, shall we?!

3:47 PM  
Blogger Joanne said...

Anne, I wanted to tell you about the plate you commented about on my blog! It's pottery, and it's a creative rendering of a flounder (we think). It was done by a potter in Cambridge, England and sent to me as a present by Sarah at http://cinereous.blogspot.com/.
I am forever grateful to her! I love it and it is "the plate of the moment" whenever a kid comes to eat at our house.

5:34 PM  
Blogger Sharon said...

love it, looks beautiful and love the color. What yarn and size needles did you use? How much yarn? Sharon

2:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home