Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Steady As She Grows

I kept at it last night until I was finally done with Chart two and starting Chart three. Whoo Hoo!! I will take a photo in the sunlight today to post; I keep telling myself that I am gonna love the color to wear, but the Knitpicks Iris colorway is hard to see while knitting. It is a pale brownish lavender (more politely, I should be calling it "pale lavender heather") that doesn't provide much background, and almost lets light pass right through it. I have been pondering what color background will make the pattern show best in a photo.

I keep admonishing myself to follow the maxim about admiring your lace often (this is the best way to catch a mistake), and realized at the end of chart two, pulling it in different directions to get the "blocking" effect, that it really did look great and I was getting it right, too.

Now, for the problems I am having: my Crystal Palace bamboos have joints of metal that catch the yarn. This really sucks! I love the scoopy points, and can't switch right away to a different needle in the same size, so am toughing it out, but it does slow me down. More frustrating though is the fact that I am using gold jump rings and many of them have a wide enough gap that my yarn slips through. I will be searching today to try and locate some tiny-enough plastic replacements. The other problem I experienced was slow going on the rows where I had to move a marker to work a double decrease, then re-insert the marker once the decrease was completed. Anyone come up with a shortcut here?

Happy Knitting!

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I also love the Crystal Palace bamboo needles for the points, but yes the joins suck. My shortcut - don't use markers - LOL. Sorry, I'm no help!

10:29 AM  
Blogger Cheryl said...

I have so far only used the marker around the center stitch...not sure if I want to use the markers around the repeats as I have sworn to myself I will not leave a row in the middle, not sleet not rain not threat of abandonment...

10:39 AM  
Blogger Birdsong said...

I have stuck with using markers simply because it helps me to check every patterned row and make sure there are no mistakes! I guess I just am not as accurate a chart-follower as the rest of you are.

11:26 AM  
Blogger Jenny Raye said...

I'm having the same trouble with the brass rings, as well as handmade stitch markers I purchased online. A solid ring would be much better, but I don't have any right now. I'm with you--I like to have the marker there just to double check myself, but I'm hating having to remove, borrow a stitch, and then replace the marker.

2:51 PM  
Blogger KarenK said...

My favorite needles for lace right now are the Inox Teflon-coated - the joins are smooth, the points are scoopy, and they are not so slippery as the Addis or the Inox Express or the KnitPicks (love the Knitpicks small size circulars, great points, but too slippery for lace). The Inox Teflon not easy to find, so I had to do some internet searching. I gave away my Crystal Palace bamboo needles because of that nasty join problem. And like Cheryl, I use a marker only at the center stitch.

4:41 PM  
Blogger slimsdotter said...

I'm with you, using the markers but not liking the rows where they have to be moved. I'm starting to understand the design better, and I can tell that following the design of the lace is more accurate than blindly following symbols with no understanding. But I will keep the markers until, oh, the next millenium. Lose my spot too easily otherwise. I settled on heavy crochet thread, tied into a quite small loop. For markers. Yarn is too fuzzy and plastic has that slip under problem you mentioned.

10:17 PM  
Blogger Tan said...

and if you decide to use yarn markers, be sure they are a different color to your working yarn. I have been known to knit the thread markers, much to the detriminet of my projects.

7:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home